Rejected due to having User Registration to use the App

Hello,

I have been stumped on this issue for a week and am looking for guidance on how to resolve it.

I am aware of Guideline 5.1.1 Legal: Privacy - Data Collection and Storage and have read through it.

The core functionality of our app is a Message Chatbot. This is the only feature we have, and we require user registration to limit the number of messages that can be sent on the free tier.

However, despite explaining why we need user registration and pointing to a number of very similar apps that have the exact same registration system, we are not able to get approval from the App Reviewers.

Their message is: "To resolve this issue, please revise the app to let users freely access the app's features that are not account-based." The problem is that we do not have any other features in our app, so we are stuck.

I was wondering if anyone else had similar issues and what they did to fix it?

Thank you!

I think they're saying that you should let people use the app without having to register. You have a free tier, so if the user isn't registered then they will be kept at the free tier level of service which might be ten requests total then nothing.

You could change your app so it stops allowing requests once your free limit has been reached, but that won't stop an unregistered user deleting the app and reinstalling it, so you might have to think about putting in some annoying full-screen ads before an unregistered user can make a request. At least you'll make a bit of money.

Obviously, you would never put an ad in the app for a registered user.

So, simple overview:

• User downloads the app.
  • User launches the app.
  • User is presented with a screen to login to their account or use the free tier. You should explain what the free tier offers, and what its limits are.
  • If they login, they can make requests at whatever level of service they've paid for.
  • If they don't login, then the app shows a fullscreen ad, then makes the request.
  • ...Repeat until they hit the free limit...
  • Next time they attempt a request, you reject it and tell them they have to register to continue using the service.

Alternatively, get back in touch with the App Review team and see that they suggest. Device fingerprinting is out of the question.

Rejected due to having User Registration to use the App

Q